If your feline friends are in need of a special hideaway then why not make it yourself with this brilliant cat tent DIY project?
Of course, pet tents have been growing in popularity as a way to shelter your BFF from the elements, but it can also be just as effective used indoors too.
If you don’t fancy shelling out cash to get your very own, you can always upcycle it on the cheap.
All you need is an old t-shirt (which your moggie may have slept on several times anyway) and some old coat hangers. Result!
According to Instructables, there are 9 steps to creating your very own…
How to make your very own cat tent
- Gather your materials. You will need at least one cat, a medium t-shirt, a 15 x 15 inch piece of cardboard, two wire hangers, tape, safety pins and a large pair of pliers.
- Cut the hangers Cut off both squiggly ends.
Shape the hangers + reinforce the cardboard if needed Shape the hangers so they look like two graceful curves that will go from corner to corner of your piece of cardboard.
Tape on a couple supports to the cardboard and all around the edges for a little more stability. This is really only necessary if you’re using a piece of cardboard with a crease in it.
- Poke a hole in each corner You should be able to use the end of the hanger to do this! Make sure it’s at least a half inch in from each edge and not too large.
Tape the two hangers together Cross the two hangers in the middle and make sure all the ends touch the surface you’re working on. Tape them together really well so they don’t shift.
Push the ends through the holes you just made in the corners.
- Bend the ends and tape them down Bend at least an inch on the bottom of each hanger so it sits against the bottom of the cardboard.
Tape the ends down flat against the cardboard – make sure you tape it well so it’s nice and smooth and won’t snag the shirt when you pull it over!
- Check and make sure everything’s lined up At this point you can bend the wire so that it looks nicer – fiddle around with it and use the pliers if you need to straighten it out a bit
- Create the tent Pull the shirt over the tent frame and position it so the neck hole is in the front middle and the bottom of the shirt is trailing behind the tent frame. Flip the whole thing up so the bottom is facing you and the hole is pointing upwards.
Fold up the excess from the bottom of the shirt and tighten it up so the neck hole is taut and safety pin the bottom in place.
Then pull the sleeves tight and safety pin them in place too. It should be pretty tight over the frame. Keep tucking and safety pinning until it’s ready!
If you’d prefer to watch a video on how to create your own, this DIY cat toy series is also on hand…
And there you have it. The perfect cat cave or holiday pet accessory alike!